Technically speaking, Dr. Dre and Snoop Doggy Dogg have never made an album together.
It may not feel that way. After all, they’ve been collaborating since 1992. Snoop appeared on 11 of the 16 tracks on Dr. Dre’s first solo offering, The Chronic, and, a year later, Dre produced the entirety of his Snoop’s own debut, Doggystyle.
Of course, the two split in 1996 and took different paths.
Dre fled Death Row Records and founded Aftermath, leaving Snoop behind to create his sophomore album without any input from the doctor. Snoop joined No Limit, Dre found Eminem, but the two reconnected for a few songs here and there, headlined the Up In Smoke tour in 2000, co-starred in the film The Wash a year later, and eventually even performed with a 2Pac hologram at Coachella.
After nearly twenty-five years, they’ve amassed some classics and I decided to put together a collection of the best ones. This is not a comprehensive list – I omitted tracks on which one only had an ad-lib or a few lines, as well as those that Dre may have produced, but on which he did not appear – but I think it encapsulates the best the two offer together.
- “Deep Cover” off the Deep Cover soundtrack
- “187um [Deep Cover Remix]” off the One Million Strong soundtrack
- “Nuthin’ But a ‘G’ Thang” off The Chronic
- “Fuck Wit Dre Day [and Everybody Celebratin’]” off The Chronic
- “Little Ghetto Boy” off The Chronic
- “Tha Next Episode” [Original] unreleased
- “Zoom” [Original] unreleased
- “Just Dippin’” (featuring Jewell) off No Limit Top Dogg
- “The Next Episode” off 2001
- “Still D.R.E.” off 2001
- “Chin Check” (featuring N.W.A) off the Next Friday soundtrack
- “Bitch Please II” (featuring Eminem & Xzibit) off The Marshall Mathers LP
- “The Wash” off The Wash soundtrack
- “On the Boulevard” off The Wash soundtrack
- “Imagine” (featuring D’Angelo) off Tha Blue Carpet Treatment
- “Kush” (featuring Akon) single originally meant for Detox
Bonus: “The Robbery” mini-movie
Christopher Pierznik’s eight books are available in paperback and Kindle. His work has appeared on XXL, Cuepoint, Business Insider, The Cauldron, Medium, and many more. Subscribe to his monthly reading review newsletter or follow him on Facebook or Twitter.